Wednesday 7 September 2016

Change of plan

Change of plan  07.09.16

Ohmygoodness, how many hours and how many plans have i had? At last i have now made one that will see me arrive home on schedule with my original flight.

It is now eleven thirty am and as yet ive not had breakfast and have only just dressed. Ive been working on this since 7.30am. Its a good job i did my island hopping yesterday. Im in no rush to do anything today, may stay home and get my plans in order and just enjoy the peace of mind that comes with clarity and certainty.

I know i whinged about island hopping yesterday but think i actually quite enjoyed my day, or at least was amused by it. No options, once you are on one ferry you HAVE then to go to the next island before you can return. It was a beautiful day, the biking challenging enough but no hills big enough to make me walk and i probably covered around twenty five miles on a heavy inefficient bike so good exercise and left me feeling kinda satisfied with and amused by my efforts.

Last evening i spoke with Rebecka in Goteburg and then tried to firm up my travel arrangements to visit. The trains have been privatised recently which is why i cannot get a through ticket, the companies have not yet sorted a way of co-operating so neither the internal country systems nor europe rail are working efficiently. 

We concluded that i might backtrack all the way to Frederikshavn, close to my entry point to Denmark and catch the ferry across. That way my trains would all be in Denmark and the ferry would be easy. Yes. But the time wouldn't. The price was good but would involve twelve hours travelling and i would be unable to get back to Copenhagen airport in time for my flight so would necessitate at least one night in Copenhagen or change my flight. 

I concluded that when so many things are against you, it means theres a reason not to go. I find little from my father to take with me in my life but one thing i do remember him saying, although cannot now recall his exact words, was something about things that are meant to be and to listen to stumbling blocks, if too many get in the way, theres a reason, dont fight it. Its strange for i dont think that fits his  character as i knew him and i wish i could now recall what he actually used to say.

So eleven pm last night finds me back looking at Malmo, Sweden and i find an airbnb place thats overpriced at £36 a night, without breakfast but looks good so i ask for a discount. Just after midnight ten percent comes through but not wanting to get up, i thought ill deal with it in the morning. 

Too late. Airbnb works on first come first served. Someone jumped in and booked one night out of my five night block. The host is new and does not understand the systems yet. She has missed my five nights for one night.

Despondent but resolute. it was meant to be. I begin again this morning and this time, renew my search for a hostel but continually am thwarted as google search hostels mostly shows hotels. I dont understand why this occurs but i think im looking at hostels only then to discover hotel prices. I spend nearly an hour on a hostel search. When i do establish that a few of them are actually hostels they show no availability for my dates. I think this may be because they only release a percentage of their rooms to these websites and if i rang directly i might find a different answer but i have become used to airbnb efficiency and its too early to ring, too difficult to keep chopping from website to website and becomes too onerous to proceed. Airbnb may rip guests off with fees but its transparent. At last you know when dates are available.

So i begin again and contact more hosts, each time getting a little further away from the centre. Most do not reply. I find one that i discounted last night, dont remember why, and look again. Ah yes, no internet. I now think i can manage without wifi for my last five days and have my phone, so send a chatty enquiry asking for a further reduction from the £27 a night which includes breakfast. The host replies efficiently, in a friendly way and I get another 10% knocked off, saving me £75 on my chosen booking of last night. At last. A booking.

From here i will need to bus to Odense and think i may spend the day there if i can find a luggage locker, having not explored the city yet. I had always intended to look around and it now becomes crazy not to do so. 

I therefore have research to do for half a day in Odense, maybe two days in Copenhagen (easy trip by train across the water) and two days in Malmo. Phew! Im there. Time for breakfast.