Wednesday 20 July 2016

Fog horn

Fog horn  20.07.16

I wake to the sound of a long clear boom followed by a higher, and shorter reply. I wonder whether the height and length of the note signifies the size of the vessel that makes it. i journey forward today, but wonder on the wisdom of doing so. The foghorns suggest my helicopter ride may not be the sightseeing delight I had envisaged. The forecast for the next two days gives me little hope that my return to Sudoroy will be any more revealing than my last.

I lay in bed and ponder my situation. It would be easy to stay but I now feel too comfy. two Australian guys arrived last night, recording programmes for a radio show for Australian classic fm, bringing with them the gin bottle, this house is becoming too cosy and I feel my time squeezed between companionship and reflection. In a sense, I like my aloneness for it forces me to use words as my companion. 

For two days I have sat with the knowledge that I will return in August and last night became excited when Hannes, my host, suggested it easy to hitch a lift on a cargo ship to the Shetlands and indicated an ability to help me do so. This morning, I wonder instead, about changing my August flight for a return in January, desirous of being here when the waves crash all the way over the village, when the ferry will roll steeply from side to side and when the northern lights will dance in the sky.

Ten past nine and I am packed ready to leave. I have an hour before I need to depart for my ferry. I have lightened my pack yet again for I will leave half of my remaining belongings here. I have no need for dirty washing, sleeping bag, cooking basics or swim kit for the next two nights. Scattering my belongings around a country is something I have done before. Some will be reclaimed, others discarded or forgotten. 

My pack will be light. I have perhaps a 3 k walk from the helipad on Sudoroy to cafe Mor Mor where I will while away the three hours I must wait for a bus to take me on to Vagur. Helicopter travel needs more planning than ferries it seems. It is possible I may find a taxi to share that someone has preordered, indeed could order one for myself but think that the walk will be manageable with a light pack. The contents of my day sack have also been reduced and the pack itself now sits in the base of my rucksack, leaving me to carry my iPad and clutter in pockets.

I am ready to leave, I feel the need to escape this 'family' I have just made for myself. I cannot create when in the company of others, I need my solitude to take time for me. My body still sways with the movements of all the boat journeys I have taken. It is not an unpleasant feeling but disconcerting and I look forward to a flight.