Wednesday 20 July 2016

Tróndur Patursson

Tróndur Patursson 20.07.16

Mesmerised, I listen and watch an hour long documentary on an attempt to sail by traditional bamboo raft from Hong Kong to South America, across the Pacific Ocean, in search of evidence that ancient chinese civilisations may have arrived on America's shores some two hundred years before Columbus.

Five explorers, headed by Irish historian, Tim Severin and involving sailor, fisherman and artist, faroese Trondur Paturssun, the film is awe inspiring as is Paturssen's work created in response. The day is another grey and rainy mistiness with low visibility. My helicopter flight has been cancelled, the fog being too thick. I spend my time in the art museum watching the film and then chasing examples of Paturssen's work. 

I now sit on the ferry, more reliable than a helicopter and with efficient transport links at either end. I absorb the bright blue light and ponder hours spent on oceans.